Sunday, October 31, 2010

Repetition

I just bought a new camera about two weeks ago. It's a Canon PowerShot S95 and it is probably the highest quality camera I have ever owned.
Although I don't have a photography class, I have been bringing my camera around with me and snapping photos of things I see that interest me.

The cases full of wrapping paper (left) caught my attention because of the pattern they made. Partially random & partially the same (maybe that is where the Gestalt principles are kicking in. I really wanted the wrapping paper to make a pattern, so in photographing it, I have documented the Gestalt thinking process.

Remembering back to my high school photography class has also been fun. Trying to remember all the rules my old photography teacher taught us about; rule of thirds, texture, framing, composition, etc. All things I remember learning about then, but not really fully comprehending until now.

This picture of a tree trunk (right) had a very interesting texture on its main trunk, after taking time to look at it, I decided to document it. This tree isn't designed in any way (unless the gardeners who prune it count?), but I designed this picture, borrowing the texture/ pattern from the tree and using my representation of it in digital form for whatever I may choose.

No comments:

Post a Comment