Sunday, October 3, 2010

Hello Internet, Who Are You Today?

I lived in Copenhagen, Denmark last year as an exchange student at the University of Copenhagen and DIS (Denmarks Institute for Study Abroad). One of the classes I took was a digital design course focusing on simple web page construction and linking techniques. My professor was a graduate of Denmark’s Design School and an accomplished digital media professional. She took us on a field study to a digital theatre where we suited up in outfits with sensors and got inside of a white box room. We were digitally transported to an environment where we could draw on the walls and move objects around ourselves.
Learn more about it here.

She was a real advocate for awareness in digital media and the advancement of knowledge. After working in the digital field for most of her career, she was able to bring many interesting points of interest to lectures and to challenge our conceptions of web architecture.
She introduced me to several websites (1, 2, 3) and helped me to understand websites and critically analyze how information is displayed on a web page.

After arriving back in the United States, I have decided that web design is an important component of the graphic design world and that I must know more about it. This quarter I am taking the intro course to web design which is teaching me that not only is there an enormous wealth of knowledge needed to be a web designer, but that the guidelines and principles that web designers follow change at an almost daily rate.

No comments:

Post a Comment